Search This Blog

Friday, July 27, 2012

Wildflower Wednesday July 2012

Welcome to my Wildflower Wednesday post, join other blogs for their wildflowers on Clay and Limestone, hosted by Gail, with delightful photos of pollinators on Joe Pye Weed.

I was pleasantly surprised this month to out of the blue discover wildflowers I had grown from seed a year or two ago blooming that I didn't even know had survived.  One such is a Rudbeckia from a mixed package of T & M seeds.
Agastache aurantica also surprised me, I thought it had bitten the dust over the winter-
Then there were the delicate blooms of Allium cernuum-
Limnanthes douglasii that I grew under lights bloomed much later than some that self-sowed from last year, these are very cheery and I hope they will self-sow more and establish themselves in my yard.  They were getting nibbled by deer so perhaps they won't be able to really spread.  In some areas in California they color the hills and are known as "Meadowfoam", and are inportant to pollinators.
I hope you are finding some native plants to brighten your gardens.

Hannah

6 comments:

  1. hannah, Love the meadowfoam...they are so pretty and appreciate how important they are to pollinators. I thought the Allium cernuum I planted would be blue, but, they are almost a pure white. Pretty and delicate, but, not blue! gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. I was pleased that the meadowfoam self-sowed even a little from last year, so I hope it will continue and spread. My Allium cernuums are a pale pink, I have seed for an Allium azureum but haven't gotten any seedlings as yet. It's always exciting for me when something I grow from seed blooms!

      Delete
  2. Pretty wildflowers, Hanna! I love the meadowfoam too, and the allium. One of the best things about alliums besides the pretty blooms is that rabbits don't seem to like them. Hopefully your deer leave them alone too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are unprotected and still there, so I assume the deer don't like them. That's always nice when it happens.

      Delete
  3. I love surprises like that! That's an interesting/charming variety of Rudbeckia; and wow, that meadowfoam is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was surprised to see the narrow petals. The other Rudbeckia I grew before did not return so must have been annuals. This one is hopefully perennial since it took a couple of years to reach blooming size.

      I really like the style of the meadowfoam, the two colors and the tidiness of the foliage. I'm surprised how long the ones I started under lights are continuing to bloom.

      Delete