Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2012

Wildflower Wednesday August 22, 2012

Welcome to Wildflower Wednesday here in the PNW.  Join Gail and other native plant aficionados on her blog Clay and Limestone!

Agastache aurantiaca that I grew from seed last year is blooming again, those sunset peachy colors are my favorite.  You can tell from the shape that hummingbirds would like these flowers.
They would look nice with some Verbena bonariensis, here washed out by the camera, so far I have been unable to germinate and grow Verbena hastata, which is native.

There are bright red inedible berries on Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, I love the deep green glossy leaves-

There are white insipid mealy berries on Gaultheria mucronata, Pernettya, also with leathery glossy green leaves, which has long wispy branches in my garden.

Gaultheria shallon, Salal, has ripe fruit and a few flowers still-

The berries are also ripe on the very lovely foliaged Cascade Oregon Holly Grape, Berberis (Mahonia) nervosa.  I just bought a plant of B. repens, which is stoloniferous, so hope it will spread and be a good ground cover.
Time to pick some more berries, in addition to the blueberries and blackberries.  Yum!
Hannah

2 comments:

  1. hannah, I love your agastache. Isn't the color wonderful! I have great success with A rupestris~In a container! Other wise the agastaches drown in our wet winters, but, they are delightful while I have them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our winters are pretty wet too, and some of the Agastaches I planted didn't come back, so maybe that is why. I was happy to see some of them return, though, I'm looking for drought-tolerant plants that are useful for tea and will make clumps and come back every year. I could try some of them in containers if that is what they like.

    ReplyDelete