Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Foliage Follow-Up May 20, 2015

Honoring our Veterans, firefighters, and their families for the tremendous sacrifices they have made for our freedom on Memorial Day weekend.

Today I'm linking with-

Today's Flowers hosted by Denise

Saturday's Critters hosted by Eileen

Macro Monday 2 hosted by Gemma and Mystical Magical Teacher

I Heart Macro hosted by Laura

Another later Rhododendron is blooming now, it spread laterally to 12' / 4m-


A combination on our shop of Sombreuil OGR rose-

 And Clematis Niobe which is an early bloomer-

A favorite iris, Beverly Sills-

And a deep purple one

My once-blooming Alba OGR Madame Plantier is beginning her massive bloom-

My husband built me a branch trellis to contain her last year-

In that bed also the very large flowered Apricot Nectar, my favorite rose color-

And Austin rose Evelyn-

I've been uncovering several little baby garter snakes, here is a red striped one, the scales on its head really stand out, can you see the heart?-


This one is about full size, it has a very complex scale pattern-

This the snake making a ring, quite a pattern-

Here I'm showing some foliage in my garden, to see other people's foliage posts, join them at hostess Pam's blog Digging.  Some of my favorite foliage plants are shade plants like this self-sown Pulmonaria-
                            
and even more silvery Excalibur-

Saxifrage 'London's Pride'-


Spooky new leaves of Acer 'Sister Ghost'-

The delicate pink new foliage of Salix integra 'Hakuro-nishiki'- 

It took me a while to realize it wasn't growing because the deer were nibbling it, so I hope in a cage it will someday look like the glorious round globes I see around.

I discovered yesterday a little patch of a variegated sport of Anemone nemorosa, I hope it will continue to grow larger-

I imagine a strange many-armed figure under the glorious tangled Japanese cutleaf weeping maple foliage-

I'm interested in Manzanitas for their ability to live without summer irrigation, in fact they hate it, for those far-flung areas of my yard where it is hard to drag a hose, so I'm hoping to enjoy big plants with twisty dark bark and grey leaves someday, my babies from Xera Plants-

Also linking with-

Wordless Wednesday hosted by NC Sue

New link with Outdoor Wednesday, hosted by A Southern Daydreamer.

This is an area where the previous owners dumped a lot of logs after cutting many cedars and firs down, and it used to be overgrown with Himalayan blackberry vines, which I cut down a couple of years ago, and have to keep removing.  Native plants and self-sown geraniums have filled in.  Previously in 2013 after clearing blackberries-


And now when lots of plants have been filling in-

Native wildflowers and geraniums filling in-

Deer visitor

Hannah

©Weeding on the Wild Side, all rights reserved.   I enjoy reading your comments, and will visit your blog and comment in return.

43 comments:

  1. Hello Hannah, your plants are all gorgeous. I love the foliage. And the tree is beautiful. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, very beautiful pictures on our post today. Enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda, there are lots of flowers blooming but the foliage stays around.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Eileen, I really enjoy the weeping Japanese maples, and I have planted some regular Japanese maples, the first 2 are getting fairly big but this one is still tiny. It will be impressive when it gets bigger. They are all in the 'ghost' series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up with us at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/05/textures.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those darn deer! I feel your pain in that regard. That anemone is an exciting find. I hope it continues to grow that way for you. I keep meaning to add pulmonarias to my garden. I love those leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Evan, most people don't get the ramifications of the long term struggle with deer, not to mention voles, moles, and rabbits. Having 2 acres really increases the amount of garden work and weedng. Pulmonarias are one of my favorite foliage plants and trusty reseeders.

      Delete
  6. you have an amazing garden - your thumb must be very green :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat, it's kind of win a few, lose a few, but over the years the successes add up.

      Delete
  7. Pulmonaria are wonderful shade plants and the foliage of the silvery ones really shine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Peter, I like the way new plants sow themselves here and there too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wolves everything here, even the garter snakes ... Such pretty colors in there for those of us who aren't afraid of them. The iris and all the spring flowers are lovely, but that early blooming rose in my favorite color palette is my hands down favorite. Thanks! Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was supposed to say " Love everything here". Not wolves. I'm sorry for the error.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Sallie, the little garter snake babies are really afraid of me. They whip all around and try to bite. But I'm wearing gloves and they couldn't really do anything anyway. They calm down after I handle them awhile. I love roses in sunset colors, most roses are the same magenta pink.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The snakes are beautiful! All the flowers are gorgeous. I love the roses and the rhododendron. The foliage is great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gunilla, I'm happy to see so many little snakes, I hope they survive. The roses are really getting started. The once-bloomers put on an amazing show!

      Delete
  13. Hello Hannah, Wow, the snakes are cool up close. And I love the deer too. Your flowers are lovely, I especially love the clematis and the rhodo's. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen, I'm amazed every year when the clematis return, they are so delicate.

      Delete
  14. Excellent plants, but, the one that I love was the garter snake, it is bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob, the tiny baby ones are especially fun to catch, and I was amazed at the intricate scale patterns of the one compared to the other.

      Delete
  15. Wow...I was going along, enjoying the beautiful flower blossoms so much.........then, the snakes!! I have a deathly fear of snakes.

    The pink iris is my favorite today. How so very delicate and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anni, I'm sorry to shock you with my snakes, I am of the opinion that fear of snakes originates in some childhood trauma, but don't really know. Since I like to post on the critter's meme I have to look for critters, and I learned to enjoy the harmless reptiles when I was a child. I love the pink iris too, and I always think of the opera singer when I see it.

      Delete
  16. Snakes! Flowers.
    Beasts and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rainfield, you are always good for a chuckle. I like your mysterious unknown mushroom. I see beauty in the slithery silky scaled ones.

      Delete
  17. Such lovely blossoms. I love that little garter snake too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat, spring is an amazing time, no wonder I miss it so much in the winter.

      Delete
  18. Love the flowers and the foliage
    Have a great day
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lea, I'm glad you liked them. Your cicada is gorgeous, we don't have them up here. I grew up listening to them.

      Delete
  19. Wonderful flowers and foliage. The snake looks awesome. Great shots.
    Thanks for dropping by. Hannah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lina, I'm glad you liked the snake, to me they are really cute.

      Delete
  20. Beautiful blossoms! Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EG, I hope you enjoyed your weekend. I went over and planted tomatoes and cucumbers at my grandkids' house, then the next I day we hauled off furniture discards and clothing since they are rearranging bedrooms.

      Delete
  21. It was neat looking through all your photos Hannah, the snake was very cool, especially the photo where you got its tongue sticking out. Loved the flowers of course and I really appreciate you sharing with Today's Flowers again. Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, Denise, I didn't even know at the time I captured a little of its tongue. I have the wildflower in my yard that you wanted to ID, I've even photographed it for me Wildflower Wednesday post this week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Hanna, I came back to thank you for the link you left in your comment. I found it so interesting and it is a website I will be going back to :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I will be back for your Wildflower Wednesday post too by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise, it is a great wildflower resource for out here, tyhe Burke Herbarium.

      http://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection.php?Genus=Hydrophyllum&Species=tenuipes

      Delete
  25. You were brave with your snake closeups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon, the snakes are just tiny babies... The only thing garter snakes do when you catch them is try to smear excrement on you to gross you out, so as long as I'm wearing gloves, I'm good!

      Delete
  26. What an abundance of beauty Hannah, I love all the flowers of course, but the pattern on that snake is wonderful too! Thanks so much for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura, it's amazing to me that the 2 babies are so different. I pulled up the black plastic sheet yesterday and the same 2 babies were there along with the 2 parents, I was surprised to see the big snakes had white stripes. I tried to move them to my nearby raspberry bed but failed to get the father moved, he escaped. I hope they can find each other again. I put down some old tarps for them to hide under.

      Delete
  27. Hannah I love the snake as it is different from our garter snakes....lots of great colorful blooms.....especially the pink iris!

    ReplyDelete