Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2016

On the trail again June 26, 2016

I'm posting again, I had my first eye injection treatment of Avastin to hopefully shrink the erratic blood vessel in my eye that is causing the vision problem.  No change yet, but not as bad as I anticipated, and I did read a lot of good experiences by other patients.

Today I am linking with-

Today's flowers hosted by Denise

Saturday's Critters hosted by Eileen

I'd Rather B' Birdin' hosted by Hootin' Anni'

In a Vase on Monday hosted by Cathy

Macro Monday 2 hosted by Gemma and Mystical Magical Teacher


A few different birds have been visiting my deck for seeds.  One I've seen in the neighborhood but not on the deck is the darling bright American Goldfinch, so cute-

Another that at first seemed like a Spotted Towhee but more colorful is the Black-Headed Grosbeak-

I am featuring some Clematis this week, they started blooming in mid May with my sympatico combination of 'Niobe' and the climbing rose Sombreuil, totally an accident that they bloom at the same time-


I love those magnificent Old Garden Rose Sombreuil blooms-

Next Clematis to bloom is 'Sugar Candy', who has outdone herself in long bloom this year-

Clematis jackmanii is blooming now,  I find it curious that the petal number ranges from 4 to 6-

The tiny bells of Clematis integrifolia have been opening on the congested vines-


The wonderful Clematis viticella 'Venosa Violacea' has the longest bloom season of them all-


An earlier vase of flowers has the pink rose Monsieur Tillier, a cerise Achillea, small purple clusters of Ceanothus 'Victoria', and some frothy chartreuse flowers of Lady's Mantle-



For In A Vase On Monday this week, to answer hostess Cathy's challenge to find flowers to plonk in a vase, I used yellow 'Julia Child', which has a marvelous myrrh fragrance; the fantastic red climber 'Dublin Bay' which is long-lasting in the vase or on the plant; the very large 'Apricot Nectar'; the little and abundant white 'Madame Plantier'; and foliage of Lonicera nitida.


My main gardening interest is actually my vegetables, I've been picking lots of edible-podded snap peas, and am just starting to pick some fava beans.  Strawberries have been tapering off and some raspberries and blueberries are ripening.  What delightful edibles are gracing your garden?

I'm sad to have the summer solstice pass, since the days start getting shorter again.  My latest night before to come in from the garden was 9:49pm but tonight it was 9:24pm.  I'm close to getting all the vegetable beds planted though, with lots of beans.some pole beans are about at the shoulder level in their race for the top of the trellis, and there are red flowers about to bloom on some of the runner beans.  The hummingbirds will be happy.  Hannah


©Weeding on the Wild Side, all rights reserved.   I enjoy reading your comments, and will visit your blog and leave comments there if possible, but I am not able to do so if google + is the only option.  I would like to return your visit so leave an URL to your blog or email address.







27 comments:

  1. Every flower is beautiful, lovely vase, and as we have just passed the shortest day, I can shout a huge Hurray for longer sunlight hours. The varieties of clematis, I have one, sadly it didn't flower this year, maybe where it is was the one ( Oh dear I forgot to water there) patch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy, I love it too when the days start getting longer. I had never heard of your Luculia flowers, they sound like a dream shrub.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I hope you will recover soon. The clematis flowers are very beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Minoru, I've been noticing some changes. It's great when a kind of flower succeeds well for me and requires so little care.

      Delete
  3. Hello Hannah, I am so happy to hear your eyesight is better. I hope all goes well. I love your black-headed Grosbeak and the cute finch. Your Clematis blooms are just lovely. Thanks for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen, it may take a while to see improvement, I have to get the injections at 4 week intervals then lengthening to 14 weeks when I get to stop. I'm hoping it will not take that long. I enjoy the succession of the different Clematis every year, especially the long-blooming Venosa Violacea, though Sugar Candy has been impressive this year. It was fun to have some birds to post.;-)

      Delete
  4. Wow what a great grosbeak and I adore the clematis rose combo and all your clematis....and of course the vases are stunning! Beautiful flowers shouting summer...sadly yes our days are already shortening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was impressed with the grosbeak, at first I thought it was the towhee then I realized it had too much color, especially going around its neck. I am always amazed when something I planted works that well, Donna.

      Delete
  5. Hope the treatment makes a difference for you. Loved all the clematis today, and the roses too - that looks like a hyacinth vase you have used for your vase, something I forget to do and I have so many of them! Thanks for sharing today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 2 ceramic glazed vases are definitely hyacinth vases, I hadn't thought of that one that way. I'm feeling like I should be more adventurous and try some clematis in a vase, I guess I imagine they are quite floppy.

      Delete
  6. I was pleased to see this post pop up on my blog feed this morning, Hannah, and I'm glad to hear that you've got a treatment that will help your eyes. That Clematis 'Venosa Violacea' is STUNNING! Your lovely roses are also a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris, I'm sorry to hear about your high temperatures, it is getting unreal. But you manage to have such lovely flowers anyway. I enjoy VV a lot. I guess I should have tried cutting some clematis, it seems intimidating somehow.

      Delete
  7. Your roses and clematis are so beautiful, Hannah. I'm surprised your main gardening interest is vegetables. Judging by the flowers, they must be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eliza, the older flowers in the photos are maybe 15 or more years old so are the tough survivors that literally take care of themselves every year, though I do tie Sugar Candy up some. But the vegetables must be planted every year and many started in the house under lights. My favorites are pretty much the pole beans, which must have trellises set up, plant seeds, train vines on trellises, set up soaker hoses and mulch, water, pick, so time consuming. But so rewarding! Have you noticed that you can find heirloom tomatoes, etc. fairly commonly now but where can you find heirloom beans?

      Delete
  8. Beautiful flowers and great bird photos, too!
    Hope the medicine helps improve your eyes
    Have a great week!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lea, I was very worried about the shots but couldn't even feel it, just the sound of the liquid squirting followed by globules floating around in my vision. The flowers are cheery in their dependability.

      Delete
  9. Thanks, Felicia, it make take a few treatments, I don't know what to expect. The damage so far is not noticeable when using both eyes so that is good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The rose and clematis combination is lovely - and the first vase you show particularly pretty with that cerise achillea. Also enjoyed your clematis so much - it's nice to be introduced to more possibilities (like sweet little C. integrifolia) - so thanks for dwelling on them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be a good sign seeing you posting again.
    Everything is so beautiful as usual.
    Everybody is caring about you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really see the damage in my eye when looking at things with both eyes, so it doesn't prevent me from posting, it is more that the blue light from computer screens is alleged to be damaging to the retina of the eye so I am trying to cut down on my computer usage. I'm experimenting with posting less frequently, but editing the photos and writing the post is just part, there is also visiting other bloggers' websites, which seems to be necessary if I want people to visit me too, so it keeps adding up. Thanks for your kind comments, Rainfield!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful bird photos and flowers! The rose and clematis combined is so beautiful. I do love vegetables and fruits in our garden as well. It's always such a feast to eat from your own garden, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially now as the beans are getting big enough to pick!

      Delete
  13. The goldfinch is beautiful and I love the different clematises. I hope your eyes will be better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gunilla, the treatments are already reducing the damage in my eye.

      Delete
  14. Hi Hannah, these are wonderful photos. I am sorry I don't have a Today's Flowers for you to link with, but I have only just returned home after a close family member passed away. I took a blog break for a few weeks as I was away from home. Today's Flowers will be back next Friday, August 5th.

    ReplyDelete