Search This Blog

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Fun at the Fair August 8, 2015

The county fair is on now, I enjoy looking at the flowers and quilts in particular.  Today I am linking with-

Orange You Glad It's Friday hosted by Maria

Today's Flowers hosted by Denise

Saturday's Critters hosted by Eileen

Macro Monday 2 hosted by Gemma and Mystical Magical Teacher

Some newer flowers blooming now in my garden are the Rose of Sharons, Hibiscus syriacus,
one is a 10' / 3.5m tree grown from a cutting I received in an exchange.


Next is one that looks very similar, 'Minerva', which is only 3' tall.


They are special to me because this same color bloomed in my Grandpa's garden in South Carolina when I lived with them briefly at ages 4-5.  Even then I noticed all the flowers.

My Heart Leaps Up

My heart leaps up when I behold 
   A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began; 
So is it now I am a man; 
So be it when I shall grow old, 
   Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man;
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety

William Wordsworth, 1770 - 1850

http://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/my-heart-leaps

A cute pigeon entry at the fair, while I think he is adorable, I wonder what physiological price he has to pay for the genetic manipulation that created his upright form-

A fancy orange and red Dahlia from the fair-

A quilt design from the fair that I find interesting, I don't know what it's called but there seem to be a lot of variations-

Part of another quilt with a similar design element, which do you notice first, the light patterns or the dark patterns-


My entry for this week joins up with other cut flowers arrangements for In a Vase on Monday hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.


I like it with my kitchen tiles-

The glass ball vase requires small flowers.  They are Ageratum, Fireweed, Chaste tree, and geranium oxonianum flowers, and Euphorbia cyparissias foliage.  Be careful and wear gloves if you cut Euphorbia foliage, the milky sap can cause allergies or eye damage.

What do you like to see at the fair?     Hannah

                                                             or cameras are macro





©Weeding on the Wild Side, all rights reserved.   I enjoy reading your comments, and will visit your blog and leave comments there if possible, but I am not able to do so if google + is the only option.

I had a comment about problems with leaving a comment here.  If you are having trouble commenting on my blog, you can send me an email at  z8hannah8z@gmail.com to comment and let me know of your difficulties.  Thanks!  I looked up solutions on Blogger and apparently Wordpress has not updated their Open ID servers, so to comment on Blogspot blogs, you must select OpenID then enter your address, changing it to plain http://address  instead of https://address.

42 comments:

  1. Nice presentation....I see the white parts of the quilts, and I agree the pattern is fascinating♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/luminous/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie, I'm stlll contemplating launching into the world of quilt-making.

      Delete
  2. What gorgeous flowers and floral arrangements here, and the quilts are wonderful too (I noticed the light first). I like everything at fairs except the animals. It makes me sad to see them on display. Your question about the pigeon occurred to me as well. As for rainbows in the sky, my heart leaps up as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Carol, I wonder if the pigeons and doves get to live cage-free some, I guess it depends on what kinds of enclosures they are raised in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden flowers are gorgeous, especially the minervas like the ones in your grandfather's garden. That pigeon is very pretty, but it truly is sad to think that the genetically manipulated that created him may cause him discomforts. Happy OYGIF and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arnoldo, the Hibiscus or Malva family has a lovely form, too, as well as being memorable for me.

      Delete
  5. Your flowers are beautiful, and the quilt is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Malva family is so pretty in form, I like your pink mallow too, Romi. I admired all the fair quilts, maybe someday I will work on one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Hannah, the pigeon is cute. It looks as if it has a proud strut. Your flowers are beautiful, I love the Rose of Sharon. The quilts at the fair are beautiful. Thank for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pigeon does look cute, it's form makes me think of a heart. I love the whole Hibiscus family but Rose of Sharon is probably the easiest to grow here outdoors. I enjoy the quilts every year, always something different.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob, I admire your bird photography, the little Grebe trying out its wings is fantastic.

      Delete
  9. Hi! The rose of Sharons' photos are very beautiful.The flower is a national flower in Korea. I enjoyed your post very much. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Minoru, perhaps they come from there. I enjoyed your mountain and waterfall views, and the wildflowers, many of which look like flowers here.

      Delete
  10. A wonderful post Hannah, so many lovely things to take in. Thank you for linking with Today's Flowers again, yours are gorgeous! Every now and again I have problems with blogger and commenting, and I know others have the same problem. Just one of those glitches that a lot of us have to deal with at one time or another. I hope yours settles down quickly but thanks for the e-mail just in case. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise, I hope hosting has not been a drag for you this year. I usually only have trouble commenting if google + is a requirement.

      Delete
  11. What a combination of photos. Delightful Post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Rose of Sharon is a pretty colour and I very much like the quilts you have chosen to show us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EG, somehow I am fascinated with that design but I'm trying to imagine sewing it.

      Delete
  13. Hannah I adore the vase and the flowers you picked for it...so wild and free flowing. And that Hibiscus is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna, I love the flowers I do have but wish they could be more lush and green like your wonderful garden.

      Delete
  14. I love that vase, Hannah! It reminds me of some blown glass Christmas ornaments I got at a craft fair years ago. The flowers you selected pick up its colors beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is just like them, some have Mt. St. Helens ash but I don't know if all do. I have a few myself.

      Delete
  15. Haven't been to a fair in ages...good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go every summer, I'm only about 3 miles away, Ricki.

      Delete
  16. Great little vase, the setting, the flowers and it are just made for each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noelle, I really like the vase with my little tiles.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for visiting me! All lovely flower pics Hannah - I love the color combination of your flowers and the tiles - perfect:) A pleasant surprise - this was a favorite song of mine for a few years when I was sick, and needed something strong, instead of giving up. Needless to say, I am healed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeannette, I enjoyed the flowers in the little vase. I'm glad you like the music, it is very soothing and inspirational for me.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thanks, Villrose, they have been very reliable. I enjoyed your lilies since they have not tended to last a really long time in my garden, perhaps it is the long dry summer.

      Delete
  19. The bowl shape vase is beautiful and fits the scale of the blooms (or vice versa!) perfectly as I wouldn't have guessed they were small flowers at firat - thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy, finding the right vase is a rather complex search, I was pleased with the way this came out and looks good with my tiles. I like your white and pale arrangement.

      Delete
  20. My daughter had Rose of Sharon at their home in South Bend. It was a beautiful shrub. I'd never heard of it until then. Unfortunately, I missed the fair this year. It's always fun for me to go through the animal barns, especial the sheep, pigs, chickens, and rabbits. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. My daughter had Rose of Sharon at their home in South Bend. It was a beautiful shrub. I'd never heard of it until then. Unfortunately, I missed the fair this year. It's always fun for me to go through the animal barns, especial the sheep, pigs, chickens, and rabbits. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My daughter had Rose of Sharon at their home in South Bend. It was a beautiful shrub. I'd never heard of it until then. Unfortunately, I missed the fair this year. It's always fun for me to go through the animal barns, especial the sheep, pigs, chickens, and rabbits. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some, usually white, with the red centers, that are completely covering the shrub. I could wish for one of those.

      Delete
  23. Hi Hanna, the colors in that hibiscus remind me of grape candy. They're beautiful. And those quilts, can you imagine the painstaking hours? They're gorgeous. Your vase of flowers are so cheerful and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace, I think about trying quilting but it does seem like a lot of work, and the really gorgeous ones have those fancy patterns of stitching done by a computerized quilting sewing machine.

      Delete
  24. I love the hibiscus! I recently bought a bright yellow one to go with the two orange ones I already had. Love them! The quilt pattern is called "snails tracks" or "monkey wrench." I am a quilting CRAZY! :-) I am way behind with people here on the blogs, and am trying to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Marie, I was giving the quilt a monkey name, interesting to know the names. I like all the Hibiscuses, but not all will grow here, so I appreciate the hardiness of Rose of Sharon.

    ReplyDelete