Search This Blog

Monday, February 29, 2016

Spring Bursts Forth, February 29, 2016

Spring seems to be bursting out all over, early.  I'm not too surprised at the daffodils and Primulas, but some of the other flowers shouldn't be around yet.  I have to assume we are in for another hot year.   Today I am linking with-

Today's flowers hosted by Denise

Saturday's Critters hosted by Eileen

I'd Rather B' Birdin' hosted by Hootin' Anni'

In a Vase on Monday hosted by Cathy

Macro Monday 2 hosted by Gemma and Mystical Magical Teacher

I am working on removing extensive weeds and putting down leaves that should have been there last fall to get ready for vegetable beds, finished half of first strip on the left, middle part has some strawberries mixed in-

The Hyacinths are about 6 weeks early-

Daffodils are looking cute- 

But Periwinkles blooming so early?


It turns out one of my newer hybrid Hellebores did make it after all, Pink Beauty-


A Song Sparrow showed up on the deck some-  "They got me!"

Just a little mousse-

"How's the back?"

I gathered a few of the early spring flowers for my In A Vase On Monday challenge of the week- Tete-a-Tete Daffodils, unknown Daffodil, Hyacinth, Hellebore 'Cherry Blossom, Osmanthus heterophyllus sprigs, and Lonicera nitida sprigs, in a crystal vase.  Check out Cathy's bloghop for more interesting vases and flowers.



I've also been shopping at nurseries to see what is new for this spring, I couldn't resist Euphorbia amygdaloides 'Ruby Glow'-

What new plants do you find exciting?      -Hannah

©Weeding on the Wild Side, all rights reserved.   I enjoy reading your comments, and will visit your blog and leave comments there if possible, but I am not able to do so if google + is the only option.  I would like to return your visit so leave an URL to your blog or email address.




24 comments:

  1. Mmm...I can almost smell your hyacinths! And the bouquets with them are lovely. Your Song Sparrow looks an awful lot like a Fox Sparrow to me, but I am notoriously bad at distinguishing sparrow species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had quite a debate with myself and my internet photos. I'll leave it to the experts, you are much more of a birder than I am. It's always a surprise when some lovely flower manages to grace my garden with its presence.

      Delete
  2. Now that's a beautiful spring vase! Hope to have one soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna, I wouldn't expect these flowers for a while, so a great surprise!

      Delete
  3. Hello Hannah, your flowers are all looking beautiful. I love the sweet Song Sparrow and your vase of spring blooms. I am looking forward to seeing our first spring flowers here. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen, I was glad to have some bird photos for your meme this week.

      Delete
  4. Gosh- is the centre of Hellebore 'Cherry Blossom' really as purple as that? It makes for a great contrast with the other blooms and is one to look for, and your new euphorbia has potential. One of this week's vase makers red leaved euphorbia to great effect in their vase. Thanks for sharing, and have a good week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nectaries on Cherry Blossom ARE really that purple. I went to the nursery this week and now there is a double Cherry Blossom, the edges of the petals are that purple, and also some new ones with the nectaries expanded almost into a pompom. Euphorbias are great here because they are toxic to the dear, squirrels, rabbits, and voles that wipe out so many of my plants without protection, they self-sow, tolerate the dry summers, and look gorgeous, too! But you do have to be very careful in handling them, they are not good around children.

      Delete
  5. What sweet photos of the Song Sparrow and your flowers are lovely. It is always fun for me to see what is going on in people's gardens. Thanks for sharing Hannah with Today's Flowers and have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise, I enjoy all your Hawaiian flowers, I wish I could grow them here, but I enjoy what will grow here, the spring show is just beginning!

      Delete
  6. We've had random days of beautiful weather but I haven't made nearly as much headway as you on the preparatory stuff. All the signs of spring (except the sparrow cutie) in a vase...what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have such a long way to go, Ricki, I didn't get enough leaves spread in the fall before all the rain started. But I'm going to keep working on it a little at a time every day until it's done. I'm loving the early spring!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful bunches, thanks Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob, I enjoyed your fancy bird photos.

      Delete
  8. That 'Ruby Glow' Euphorbia seems to be popular - I've acquired a couple of them myself and I've heard a few other bloggers mention they've picked it up as well. Your springtime vase is as cheery as can be and I love the shots of the sparrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Kris, Euphorbias have been great performers for me. Despite your heat and drought, you really can grow lots of beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pink hyacinth is a perfect pick-me-up colour to bring indoors! You are quite a bit ahead of us... still waiting for my daffs to open. I love Euphorbias but mine are mostly unnamed ones from our predecessors... could be Ruby Glow by the look of it though. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just the earliest of the daffs, Cathy, more to come! I have similar E. amygdaloides that have been self-sowing themselves around for many years. But they are not so big and full.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here's to a very happy spring to you, I just have to let you know however that on this side of the world, we're hanging onto all the heat and not letting it go elsewhere lightly! It's been a boiling first week of autumn for us... I hope you find lots of other flowering treasures like your Hellebores, that have done well and emerge to bloom in the upcoming weeks! Your sparrow is a cutie :)
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wren, if I put myself in your place, heading into autumn is like being threatened with loss of my vegetable garden produce, but maybe in a more tropical climate it doesn't make as much difference. Or maybe it is pleasant to head into cooler weather. Spring is rolling on!

      Delete
  13. I love that beautiful sparrow! [and enjoyed your narration]

    Your garden flowers are so pretty.

    Sorry it's taken me so long to get by to pay you a visit ... it's been a busy week for me, and finally winding down to where I can have some computer time. Thanks for sharing this week at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anni, it's nice to get some new visits. The Song Sparrow perched near me in the garden yesterday when I was cutting out a lot of overgrown vegetation and serenaded me with her beautiful song.

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous spring flowers! The hyacinths smell divinely and I love the hellebores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gunilla, I like the fragrance of the hyacinths and also the various daffodils. The hellebores are in full glory.

      Delete