Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2016

Orchids are Surreal, February 1, 2016

One of my favorite houseplants is a Phalaenopsis orchid.

Welcome to my blog, today I am linking with-

In a Vase on Monday hosted by Cathy

Today's Flowers hosted by Denise

Macro Monday 2 hosted by Gemma and Mystical Magical Teacher

I Heart Macro hosted by Laura

I get a lot of enjoyment from various houseplants that bloom several times a year.  One of these is a Phalaenopsis orchid given to my mother-in-law, so I think of her when it blooms.  I cut a flower for In a Vase on Monday, answering hostess Cathy's challenge to find something to put in a vase to brighten my house.  It has a very short stem so I placed it in a gold glass candle holder-

Then I tried adding a Cyclamen hederifolium leaf and some Lamium-

Then I tried some Hebe pinguifolia with silvery green foliage as well-

Orchid close-up-


The orchid has interestingly surreal flower parts, I see what looks like a tiny bird skull at the top of gaping jaws, what do you see?  I wonder what insect would be drawn to this?

My Hellebores have lots of buds so I'm looking forward to having some to cut soon.  What signs of spring are showing in your garden?    -Hannah

©Weeding on the Wild Side, all rights reserved.   I enjoy reading your comments, and will visit your blog and leave comments there if possible, but I am not able to do so if google + is the only option.  I would like to return your visit so leave an URL to your blog or email address.






29 comments:

  1. I love orchids. Yours looks great even without the added foliage, but the silver foliage looks good, too. My big white Phalaenopsis that is usually so reliable doesn't look like it's going to bloom this year, but most of my others are in spike now. Can't wait for blooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Evan, you have such a great orchid collection, I can't wait to see them blooming either!

      Delete
  2. That is such a beautiful arrangement, love it when the extra greenery is added. Nature gives us such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean, I like the variegated silvery leaves with it.

      Delete
  3. Hello, our garden in covered in snow. I do love your beautiful flowers, lovely blooms. Happy February, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen, snow can be inconvenient, but also beautiful, and my fruit trees go crazy after there has been a heavy snowfall!

      Delete
  4. Your orchid is absolutely gorgeous Hannah, and the leaves you added made a perfect bouquet. They are fascinating to look at these orchids, and I do see the faces you describe. Thank you very much for sharing these lovely photos with Today's Flowers, and I wish you a very happy week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise, you had some lovely orchids as well. And the lovely Mimosa-type flowers, I was enchanted with them as a child.

      Delete
  5. I adore this vase with that special orchid and other plant material...so exotic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna, it is certainly brightly colored and strange.

      Delete
  6. Such a good idea to display the bloom in the candle holder - and didn't the different materials have such contrasting effects? It's good to experiment and try something a bit different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy, I do like the bright orchid in the bright gold glass. Perhaps silver and gold look good together.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful arrangements Hannah… that orchid blossom is magnificent! Thanks so much for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura, I love it when I can keep a houseplant alive and blooming.

      Delete
  8. Thanks, Angela, I will be so happy when I have some outdoor spring flowers to cut as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hannah, your orchids are lovely.....the patterns remind me of animal prints. Hopefully spring will soon be here.....

    Happy Tuesday!
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruby, it does have interesting patterns, and such fabulous color.

      Delete
  10. Your foliage choices were perfect to accompany that beautiful orchid, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris, I wish I could go out and pick so many lovely flowers as you, California dreamin'.

      Delete
  11. The candle holder is beautiful but kind of competes with the orchid. Adding the greenery was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The candle holder is very bright, but the shape of the glass petals seemed to me to go with the orchid petals, but hidden under the greens is less distracting, 'tis true, Ricki.

      Delete
  12. Very pretty!
    As for signs of Spring, I am watching for Daffodils to bloom. Hope to have some to show by Bloom Day on the 15th. If not, I guess I have to rely on the Hellebores. I've never thought of cutting Hellebores for a bouquet. How long will the blooms last when cut?
    Hope you are having a lovely day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What they say on the In a Vase on Monday bloghop is that Hellebores last longer (and some other flowers with heavy milky sap) if you dunk the stems in boiling water to sear them and stop the sap from leaking, Lea. I should check the early daffodils...

      Delete
  13. it does look like a bird skull - or maybe a white spider. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The orchid is gorgeous and I love the different shades of green and all the different shapes of the leaves. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gunilla, I was surprised how long the cut orchid lasted in water!

      Delete
  15. A flower inside a flower-shaped candle holder.

    It looks then like a very big flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed that even tiny flowers in a tiny vase can look big blown up in a photograph.

      Delete