Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2016

Peak Hellebores Plus, March 14, 2016

The month is flying by, and only one week left until spring, but it has already hit.  My Hellebore beds are at full glory now-

So I am celebrating them with another arrangement for In A Vase On Monday, hosted by Cathy who challenges us to find something in our garden any Monday of the year to decorate our houses.  Today I am linking with-

Today's flowers hosted by Denise

Saturday's Critters hosted by Eileen

In a Vase on Monday hosted by Cathy

Macro Monday 2 hosted by Gemma and Mystical Magical Teacher

Lessons Learned hosted by Plant Postings

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day hosted by Carol

My vase this week, Hellebores and a special Narcissus, special not because of its beauty or fragrance, but because it has managed to mysteriously spread throughout  my several beds in the middle of my driveway circle.

It has a marked right angle bend in its stem so has a weeping effect.  In a vase-


I have a second little vase celebrating the end of the winter bloomers, Erica darleyensis heather and fragrant Sarcococca-

And for GBBD, the dainty Muscari latifolium are blooming, in addition to the Daffodils, Vinca, Primula, and Hyacinths-


And also blooming very early, my plum tree, a few blooms on my Camellia, my Ornamental Quince, beginnings of flowers on Berberis darwinii, and two of my Manzanitas.

A welcome garden visitor, a Pacific Tree or Chorus frog, with good fallen leaf camouflage-

A little mushroom popped up, looking fragile, and wishing perhaps for a visitor-

I've been cutting down overgrown currant bushes which have become a tangled mess in interest of making my garden easier to maintain and having more access to grapevines and blueberries-

It's a lot of work but at least can be done in the brief dry mornings before the rains come every day.

I had no idea how out of hand trees and shrubs could get up here in the great Pacific Northwest, so now I am paying for it in hard work.  Lesson learned- at least I am slowly getting back in shape.   I hope you are enjoying your garden work, what mistakes are you having to correct?  -Hannah

©Weeding on the Wild Side, all rights reserved.   I enjoy reading your comments, and will visit your blog and leave comments there if possible, but I am not able to do so if google + is the only option.  I would like to return your visit so leave an URL to your blog or email address.




36 comments:

  1. A beautiful vase of flowers!
    Have a great week!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lea, it's such fun now that it is easier to find flowers in the yard.

      Delete
  2. Hello Hannha, your Hellebores are just beautiful. I love the vase arrangement. Cute froggie! I am so happy spring is almost here. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen, I love it when I can see a frog in the yard, and their color is so variable.

      Delete
  3. Hannah, you have a wonderful variety of hellebores and they're lovely in the green vase, complemented by the floral plate. That is a special daffodil. Nice to have something spread that is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie, I enjoy the hellebores so much and hope to find a good double this spring. I will have to try to dig some of the daffodil to spread it to some other beds after it is dormant.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is looking very alive.It's amazing how everything just surges into life at this time of year. Beautiful hellebores!
    Your little vase with heather is very pretty.

    Happy Springtime!
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruby, it's wonderful to have something new blooming nearly every day now! It was great to have the heather when not much was blooming.

      Delete
  5. Hellebores are so amazing in their diversity - that is a beautiful bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amelia, I enjoy them in the winter and hope to find a nice double in the plant sales soon.

      Delete
  6. So many of us are posting about Hellebores...you have a lovely range. Give the frog a kiss from me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellebores do seem to be everywhere this Monday. I like the red sprinkles on the petals, especially.

      Delete
  7. Happy Pi Day and happy almost spring! Your hellebores certainly look like spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was forgetting about Pi Day, thanks, Dorothy! Only one more week until it's officially spring!

      Delete
  8. Very lovely. Have a beautiful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda, it's pretty but rainy here, but it may quit for a while on Thursday.

      Delete
  9. I'd love to have that Narcissus spreading through my own borders, Hannah. It gives the vase with the hellebores a nice bounce with its spring color too. As to my mistakes in the garden, one I'm struggling with at the moment is whether planting cuttings of Cotula lineariloba in one bed was foolish - it provides fast ground cover but it's already engulfing other plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the double, large-cupped, and butterfly narcissi best, Kris, but they don't oblige me with so much exuberance. Too bad about the Cotula, the flowers are really cute!

      Delete
  10. Hannah I love the vase, flowers and the frog...spring is just beginning so not too much to pick...but soon my hellebores will be in full flower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some people can stuff their large vases already, but I am happy to just stuff my tiny 3" vase, it stills looks full in a photograph, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A reason to celebrate. Your spring flowers are gorgeous and I thank you so much for once again sharing with Today's Flowers. Love the little frog too, and enjoyed the look at your garden, also the Willie Nelson video. Have a great week Hannah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise, I enjoy your tropical flowers. I hope the rain lets up so I can finish cutting out the currant bushes and pruning grape vines.

      Delete
  13. The hellebores are gorgeous and I love the little frog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gunilla, when I hear them croaking they sound much bigger.

      Delete
  14. The frog and the mushroom are color-coordinated...what fun! That is an especially pretty Narcissus. I'm partial to the dainty ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Ricki, I do appreciate the Narcissus for its ability to spread, and it does look cute in the vase.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Nora, I saw another smaller frog in the garden today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely vase of flowers Hannah set off so well by the floral china saucer. I've never seen a mushroom in spring here - they pop up in the autumn in my garden. Is it normal for them to appear so early in the year where you are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hot dry summer was discouraging to the mushrooms, I didn't see as many, so maybe finally getting lots of rain encouraged them, Anna.

      Delete
  18. Your vase of hellebore and narcissus is beautiful. You seem to have a lot more success with hellebore than I do and I'd love to have that narcissus naturalising in my borders too. We've been enjoying a spell of good weather and getting out into the garden to tidy up after the winter - ready for Spring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth, I think I just happened to pick a good site for the hellebores, on the east side of the house and shaded a good part of the day by tall cedar trees, I'm thinking of trying to spread them more but don't know quite where to put them for a similar effect. Alison of Bonney Lassie has a hellebore "hedge" I find quite attractive. I'm thinking I should mark the spreading daffodil clumps and dig some bulbs when they are dormant so I could spread them around more. Daffodils are one of those lovely plants perfectly adapted to our wet and dry seasons, like the Hellebores.

      Delete
  19. I love your hellebore bed! Mine are spread all over the yard, instead of grouped so nicely like yours are. You sure have some beauties, and you even got some arranged in a vase!

    Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, my husband will like it better when the flowers cover more of the dirt and leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited by the gardening sales coming up and hope to get a double this year, Sue. I did try the In a Vase on Monday suggestion of searing the stems in boiling water first before putting them in the vase, but they also say daffodils will poison the other flowers, so a no-win situation, I guess I should have had the daffodils in a separate vase for a while as well, they did outlast the hellebores a lot.

      Delete
  20. A visitor is coming for the mushroom, just in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! The mushroom did manage to draw in a visitor! Now the mushroom can dream sweet dreams of spring.

      Delete
  21. You have a very impressive collection of Hellebores! I love them, and I think I need to add more! The PNW seems the perfect place for gardening, but I suppose that means things grow extra prolifically and need extra training. ;-) Thanks for joining the Lessons Learned meme!

    ReplyDelete