Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2016

Flower carpets April 4, 2016

Today I am linking with-

Today's flowers hosted by Denise

In a Vase on Monday hosted by Cathy

Macro Monday 2 hosted by Gemma and Mystical Magical Teacher

An endearing part of spring for me are the carpets of green studded with flowers that suddenly appear.  Anemone nemorosas are favorites, the white flowers with magenta streaks on the back that slowly darken to magenta-


And the purple ones that do so well dry shade under a large big-leaf maple-

 and in my blueberries- 



And here is how pathetic the rest of the blueberries look without the anemones-

The Pulmonarias do a good job of carpeting a bed especially when combined with a small-leaved hosta and the geraniums that will really take over later-

This one is a seedling that looks strongly like Excalibur, exceedingly silver-

Looking for flowers to put in a vase for In a Vase on Monday, I wanted to use some more of the daffodils-

The white-petaled one with large orange cup is Sound, I'm not sure of the yellow-petaled, orange trumpet, the little one is either Poeticus or Pheasant's Eye.  And which one do you think has the most fragrance?  If you guessed Poeticus you know your daffodils-

They seemed a little lonely so I added a few dark hellebores-


I noticed a solitary tulip blooming that managed to escape the voles and squirrels, so had to do another vase with it and the lilacs that just started blooming; I saw the hellebores of a similar tint, and I also added a sprig from Osmanthus delavayi, which is also fragrant but not as strong as the lilacs-


I noticed some white daffodils blooming too, the long-awaited Thalia and a larger one I don't know-


The lilacs in real life look more purple, here is a close-up looking pink-

 And the white daffodils, there is so much elegance in their starchy stiff look, so white-

I'm continually surprised how early everything is blooming, I would have to look at dates on my photos for last year to see just how much.  Are your spring flowers early too?    Hannah

©Weeding on the Wild Side, all rights reserved.   I enjoy reading your comments, and will visit your blog and leave comments there if possible, but I am not able to do so if google + is the only option.  I would like to return your visit so leave an URL to your blog or email address.

Another flower-



32 comments:

  1. The pink themed vase is gorgeous, Hannah and I always love daffodils so two winners for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina, the dependable flowers really make spring for me. I get tempted by the freesias and fancy anemones I see on IaVoM so I'm trying to grow them now, I hope they will bloom later.

      Delete
  2. Those purple wood anmeones are lovely and your pulmonaria carpet is gorgeous! And yes, the pink vase is my favourite of the two as well - what a pretty combination of blooms you have used. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy, when I saw the purple tulip and realized my lilacs were blooming so early, I just had to put them together.

      Delete
  3. I love all your flowers, and the daffodils in the vases are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda, it's fun to see all the different ones bloom.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for once again sharing such lovely flowers with Today's Flowers Hannah. All your photos are a delight to see. Wishing you a great week ahead and thank you again for all the information you have shared recently. I appreciate it more than I can put into words :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise, I'm so thankful for all the flowers that are so faithful to come up every year, in spite of all I do or don't do for them.

      Delete
  5. Oh I was hoping to have more flowers and daffs but now we are covered in snow...so I will enjoy yours as my garden is again all white....and my daffs may not survive a week of frigid cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about your bad weather again, Donna, as well as my nearby NY sister's as well. I hope your daffs will be able to surprise you when it all warms up.

      Delete
  6. So beautiful. I'll have to enjoy spring flowers vicariously through your blog because our yard is still a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope you get some flowers planted soon, Sharon, Hortlandia sale is coming up this weekend, can't wait!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful carpets! And, as always I am full of envy for your vases of flowers. They do say "spring."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorothy, the gardening up here is amazing, plants respond to all the wet season rain with a lot of growth, but the weeds as well as the desired plants. However there are some spectacular plants that help a lot in filling beds with flowers.

      Delete
  8. Both vases are wonderful, Hannah, although the second tugs a bit harder at my heart - it's a wonderful collection of colors and shapes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris, I didn't cute flowers for In a Vase on Monday at this season last year, so it's all new to me finding flowers to arrange, I so lik to see your Grevillea, they are tempting even though not very hardy for where I live.

      Delete
  9. The Hellebores really bring the daffodil arrangement to life. Both bouquets scream SPRING and make me want to follow my nose outdoors this very minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked to see the lilacs blooming already, Ricki! They smell wonderful. I'm looking forward to Hortlandia this weekend.

      Delete
  10. Hello, the carpet of greenery and flowers looks pretty. Lovely arrangements and vases. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen, the flowers keep me busy. I've seen a couple of Mourning Doves on my deck, but they just seemed to be looking around and I haven't been able to photograph them yet, they are shy.

      Delete
  11. Wow, I think you have covered early spring beauty, it all looks beautiful. My favorite is the Daffodil vase.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Amelia, I enjoy seeing your exotic Florida flowers, but Daffodils may be unusual there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your anemone carpets, I struggle to keep the weeds down in the blueberries but perhaps if I get them under control I could try that. I miss the smell of Lilac, I'm trying a different variety which I think is Korean. It flowers without too much chill and is scented but the scent seems a little different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cath, now would be the time to plant the anemones in NZ. I don't know what variety my lilac is, it was a pass-along from my father-in-law. High chill is not a problem here.;-)

      Delete
  14. Beautiful narcissus in the vases. The anemones are amazing--so lovely. Spring flowers are moving along quickly here too, but tonight we have a forecast of a freeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie, I love the anemones too. I'm sorry to hear if your frost, we could be having one a few years ago at this time, and snow.

      Delete
  15. I just love that silvery Pulmonaria Hannah, and the carpet of them is magnificent too. Poeticus and Thalia are two of my favourites too - just opening here. Both of those vases are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your dusty pink with dusty green, white and magenta color combo. I'm especially in love with your hellebores. I have one that struggles in my Texas garden. I guess it is just too hot and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely beautiful Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous flowers! I love the anemones. The often bloom around Mother's day here, but they seem to be early this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your vases are lovely - I really like the daffodil combination (I've only got a kinds of daffs in my garden - planted alot of tete a tete - I really like helebores so must plant some more... I've got the first tulip in my vase this week too (which isn't a vase) - I managed to keep the squirrels off too. Hope you have a lovely week and I look forward to seeing your next vase. Love bec :-)
    https://viewsfrommygardenbench.wordpress.com/2016/04/10/in-a-vase-on-monday-not-spring-wreath/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your vases are lovely - I really like the daffodil combination (I've only got a kinds of daffs in my garden - planted alot of tete a tete - I really like helebores so must plant some more... I've got the first tulip in my vase this week too (which isn't a vase) - I managed to keep the squirrels off too. Hope you have a lovely week and I look forward to seeing your next vase. Love bec :-)
    https://viewsfrommygardenbench.wordpress.com/2016/04/10/in-a-vase-on-monday-not-spring-wreath/

    ReplyDelete