Search This Blog

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Favorite Plant of the Week, Solidago rugosa 'Fireworks', September 26, 2013

My favorite plant pick of the week is my new Solidago rugosa 'Fireworks', favorite of my 6 new Goldenrods I am trying out this year.   To read more about them see my Wildflower Wednesday post here.  'Fireworks' grew three stems its first year, and is blooming on long thin branches that fan out like sparks exploding outward.   'Fireworks' is more tolerant of wet soils than most Goldenrods and makes a clump 2.5' - 3' tall and wide.  It blooms from September to October, and attracts bees and butterflies.  It is hardy from zone 4 to 8.  Photos on the internet show a magnificent display when the plant spreads into a clump.


It and the other Goldenrods that were 3' tall needed to be staked in their first year, which is a drawback but I think when they have grown into a clump that will not be a problem, fingers crossed.

To see other bloggers' plant picks for favorite plant of the week, join them at Loree's blog, Danger Garden, and see the links in the comments section.

Hannah

6 comments:

  1. I enjoy the goldrenrods also. They grow wild on the roadsides and fields here. One wouldn't plant them in a garden as within two years they would take over everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, some of the wild forms can be quite invasive, but not the cultivated ones, supposedly.

      Delete
  2. I was just reading a blog including goldenrod on a list os native superplants that support wildlife:
    "Goldenrods support the highest number of moths and butterflies of any herbaceous species in the study, a whopping 115 different species. They are also an important nectar source for native bees and insect pollinators. Wait, don't Goldenrods cause hay fever? No. It gets blamed for it because it blooms at the same time as Ragweed. Most goldenrod species are drought tolerant, low maintenance, and have a long season of bloom. Try a Goldenrod cultivar like 'Fireworks' or 'Little Lemon' for a late summer show."

    http://landscapeofmeaning.blogspot.com/2010/04/five-best-plants-to-attract-wildlife.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful thing about the Goldenrods is that many varieties are great cut flowers. I've always been a big fan, and I'm glad the word is getting out that Goldenrod doesn't aggravate allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I've been amused when telling friends that I'm growing goldenrods to be warned about their hay fever potential, I guess the myth is well-known.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a clump of this goldenrod and love the look...so different and the pollinators have a ball with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete