Search This Blog

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Wildflower Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Welcome to my Wildflower Wednesday post, to see more wildflowers click on the link for hostess Gail's blog, Clay and Limestone, where this month she is posting on Physostegia virginiana, False Dragonhead.

This month I am featuring my new goldenrods.  I was intrigued by goldenrods on other WW posts, for their benefits for pollinators, clumping rhizomatous growth, and uses as medicinal and anise-flavored tea plants.  There are not many native in Washington state, just 4 according to the Burke Museum, Solidago lepida, missouriensis, multiradiata, and simplex, and none actually in my county.    I was hesitant to get some of the wild varieties since they have a reputation for spreading rampantly by rhizomes, so I bought some named varieties that are not so invasive, here they are with photos of their progress this summer, ordered from Forest Farm-

Solidago Laurin, a dwarf, very short but not yet blooming-

Solidago Little Lemon, short and with a nice compact cluster of flowers-

Solidago rugosa Fireworks, long bloom spikes that are reminescent of fireworks exploding and streaking off into the darkness-

Solidago shortii Solar Cascade, it grew several stems and is blooming satisfactorily-

Solidago sphacelata Golden Fleece, it grew several stems and is blooming, but it is not as short as the 1' tall dwarf it is claimed to be-
Flower close-up-

And finally I also ordered the most fragrant and best-flavored for tea Solidago odora from Prairie Nursery, but I went out to take a photo lately and found the tall plant had turned brown, and seems to be dead, I don't know why.  It's always possible that voles damaged the roots.

I'm puzzled somewhat not to have observed any pollinators on the plants.  BTW if you think Goldenrods cause hay fever, it is a myth, Ragweed with inconspicuous flowers but very allergenic pollen blooms at the same time and is the real culprit.   I am happy that most bloomed and am looking forward to seeing what they develop into as they form more of a clump.

So, plant some native plants for those pollinators that we can't live without, or at least get much fruit without.

-Hannah

11 comments:

  1. Hannah I adore goldenrod as well as it grows in quickly to create a beautiful drift. Then it moves around the garden spreading its cheer. Hope your plant wasn't damaged by those darn voles. They kill so many plants of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to having some drifts of goldenrod. I'm sad to lose the one that supposedly has the best taste for tea, I'll have to pick some leaves of others before they fall off and see how they taste.;-P It's not just the voles, moles do a lot of damage, they like the softened dirt in my planting holes and come up around the new plant and leave its root hanging there in an air pocket. I use lava rock in the hole or put metal name tag wires around the plant for protection.

      Delete
  2. Goldenrods are very pretty!
    Voles are a problem here in Mississippi, too.
    Have a beautiful day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love goldenrod and have them in my garden. Mine have been slow to bloom this year for some reason, but I'm hoping they'll open up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting on the tiny one for some reason, I would think it would bloom first.

      Delete
  4. Every time I see Solidago 'Fireworks' I like the look of it. In my old garden I had a lot of areas full of wild Goldenrod, which was a rampant spreader and so very hard to weed out. That tendency scared me away from them. Maybe I'll finally give Fireworks a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The online photos of clumps of 'Fireworks' were outstanding, it will be interesting to see it get bigger and hopefully spread well.

      Delete
  5. How disappointing to find a new plant dead. I really like goldenrods and want to recommend one~Zigzag Goldenrod (S flexicaulis) the stems zig and zag, it blooms in semi shade and the leaf shape is better than most goldenrods. Also, it has good fall color. Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail, I've seen Zigzag Goldenrod but don't know much about any of them.

      Delete
  6. Thank you foor the tour of goldenrods. I have a blank slate garden and it's nice to get good tried and true information. We are surrounded by forest, I'm wondering if I could put golden rod at the edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess most like sun but will grow in part shade. I don't actually know much about them since this is my first year growing them, I was afraid of some of the wild ones since some can be invasive, so check them out first. S. nemoralis is supposed to like woodlands, I bought seed but didn't get any to grow yet. I might try direct-sowing this fall.

      Delete